Thursday 23 April 2015

Swing in SK house

I have a fascination for swings. My early childhood memories are of those of my aunt’s ancestral home with a central courtyard and a swing, an afternoon nap on that swing is a bliss which has stayed ever green in my memory.
A central courtyard and a swing are two things I always wanted in my house. Chances of having a Central courtyard looks like a distant dream so I had to settle just for the swing. L

For swings which are suspended from the roof, the hooks should be put in right at the time of construction at least that is what my understanding is; if we miss that phase it is not easy to add the hooks. In my first home I missed the construction phase so I was not able to have the swing but I did not miss the opportunity when we bought our second home (an apartment). While the roof was being laid I made sure I had couple of hooks. In fact our building contractor commented that I was having too many swing hooksL. He does not know that having a swing was my lifelong dream J

Now comes the most interesting part to get the swing plank. I made several visits to antique stores and couple of other places but I wasn't satisfied.

I and my Sister had single cots during our childhood days at my parents place. It was made of rosewood. I had a bright idea to convert that single cot into a swing. I had to just remove the legs and add the rings. I asked my father if I could take the single cots as they were not using it and he readily agreed (How could he say no :p).  Finally, my lifelong dream (repeating word!!) to have a swing was fulfilled.

So yeah, may I present you *drum roll*
.
.
.

MY SWING  :D





2 comments:

  1. Liked the idea of using the bed board as the swing plank. It looks great.Hooks for the swing (anchor bolts) can be put in even on a completed ceiling. A carpenter can do it seamlessly without any gouging or damage to the ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful. Can you tell me what idols are seen behind the swing on the floating shelf, please. May I know where you got them?

    ReplyDelete